Salary: $72,800 - $93,600
SYSTEM PROTECTION/RELAY ENGINEER - PORTLAND OR or SEATTLE WA
Supervise/perform work in energized utility substations and maintain the reliability & integrity of the in-service elements is of the utmost importance. Provide on-site project coordination & commissioning services associated with protective relay modernization efforts. Typical work scope includes replacement/upgrade of protective relaying systems, substation integration & automation systems, substation control systems and remote terminal unit (RTU) equipment in a given substation with modern Microprocessor-based equipment, based on the customers design package. The physical installation work may also include the supervision and direction of the customers Substation Electricians.
The services to be provided include:
- Retiring obsolete protective relaying panels
- Installing new protective relaying panels
- Reviewing/updating electrical drawings
- Writing outage/cut-over plans and functional test plans
- Providing direction to covered personnel to do this work safely in energized substations
- Outage coordination with the MPC Transmission & Distribution Control Centers as appropriate
- Applying settings to protective relaying systems (does not include generating the settings or logic)
- Testing the protective functions of protective relaying systems using the ENOSERV RTS relay test software and customer test routines
- Verifying protective relay logic through the function testing of the relaying systems (all logical elements must be verified through scheme simulations)
- Configuring integration & automation systems and remote terminal units
- Performing a point-by-point checkout of all SCADA points to appropriate control center
- Documenting progress on a weekly basis by providing a projected vs. actual report on the replacement of relay packages and integration & automation packages
- Final documentation per facility to include as-left relay settings, relay test results, configuration files for all equipment and as-build drawing package revisions
- Knowledge of & experience with the setting & testing of Schweitzer Engineering Labs (SEL) Microprocessor-based protective relaying systems (SEL351S7, SEL311C, SEL321-3, SEL387, SEL487B, SEL351S7X, SEL551, SEL587 for example)
- Knowledge and experience with the configuration & testing of SEL Microprocessor-based integration & automation systems (SEL3351, SEL3354, SEL3530, SEL2440, SEL2032, SEL3610 for example)
- Knowledge and experience with the setting & testing of General Electric Microprocessor-based protective relaying systems (T60 for example)
- The use of SEL AcSELerator software
- Knowledge and experience with setting and testing previous generation electro-mechanical relays (General Electric and Westinghouse/ABB)
- Knowledge and experience in performing end-to-end testing of transmission line relaying.
- The use of ENOSERV RTS relay testing software
- Customer Focus - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customer; Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; Acts with customers in mind; Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Decision Quality - Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Peer Relationships - Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; gains trust.
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at first answers.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Graduate BSEE/BSEET Engineer and 10 years relay experience or Graduate of Electrical Technical School or Military equivalent and 15 years minimum same or similar work experience.
- Knowledge of various industry standards, such as OSHA, IEEE and NFPA, NETA, NERC.
- Strong background and experience in most types of switchgear testing through the 230 kV class and utility grade power transformers up through 500 KV class.
- Advanced theoretical understanding of electrical power systems, and good aptitude for problem evaluation.
- Able to write detailed reports and process project billing recaps.
- Communicate effectively, writing and verbally, with clients and peers. Trains other transformer service personnel
- Good judgment, dependable, responsible for management of large projects that require good supervisory and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills including editing, formatting and using templates in Microsoft Word, use of Internet for standards/products/manufacturer research and operation of computer controlled test equipment.
- Willing to work flexible hours, weekends, holidays and night work. Must be available for out-of-town and international travel of up to several weeks.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk, hear, and smell. Frequently required to sit, climb and balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, basic color differentiation and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move 100-pound test sets.
- Valid Driver's License, commercial license a plus. Clean driving record required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Our client is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
Employment Type: Permanent
Work Hours: Full Time
Pay: $72,800 to $93,600 USD
Pay Period: Annual
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Telecom Market Intelligence